Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I hate to play to my image, but...

I take a lot of flak for being cranky and judgmental. This certainly won't help, but-- If you're seriously saying that a prominent linebacker in college football having an imaginary girlfriend is the "story of the year" on the same day it has become clear that we're getting drawn into another vicious conflict in the Muslim world, one that suggests that we'll be pulled deeper and deeper into African geopolitics, which is directly influenced by our prior intervention in another civil war, you're a fucking imbecile and the reason our country is broken.

Pardon me for being a scold. I just take the projection of American military force seriously, you know?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god, like totally

Anonymous said...

Did he actually say it was the “story of the year.” I only saw “The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season.” Mind you, that nauseating montage quickly lost me.

In any event, you get that the number of people interested in BOTH geopolitics and college football is rather small. In fact, I daresay that the number of Americans interested at all in how we project our military phallus is miniscule—and this number would be unlikely to expand even if we started droning ‘em.

I’m not saying this is a good thing but shrieking you’re stupid or complicit is hardly the road to pacifism.

Anyway, I dig Conor—thanks for the link.

Freddie said...

I'm sure you're right. But my purpose here has never been to convince.

TheStone said...

You can't expect the Hipster-Liberal Contrarian Internet Axis to pass up a chance to pile on Notre Dame when it presents itself. Earnestness, sentimentalism, religiosity . . . it's all too juicy to pass up. Tom Scocca's all over it man. On Morning Joe wearing a poorly-fitting sweater.

Bart said...

I thought "side boobs" were the big story of 2012.

Anonymous said...

Agree on all counts. But maybe full disclosure: you're quoted in the Atlantic article

Anonymous said...

Where in the article does it say story of the year? I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're now willfully misreading things just so you have another opportunity for more insufferable condescension.

Anonymous said...

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through
Google, and found that it's truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate if you
continue this in future. Numerous people will
be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
Here is my blog post - deploy systems

Anonymous said...

Post writing is also a fun, if you be acquainted
with then you can write or else it is complicated to write.
my website: ikea furniture assembly service