Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I am at your disposal

So I got a (rather breathless) email just now about some argument that's going on in Twitterland that involves something I wrote. The emailer asked for a defense, but I'm afraid I can't provide one because I'm not on Twitter. Which doesn't, of course, mean that people can't complain about me, it's there their prerogative. Part of the appeal of Twitter is that it offers a gated community, one in which you are free to make public address but one in which you can also utilize the follower system to only listen to people you're interested in talking to. There's nothing sinister about that. Some people use Twitter to engage with all comers, some only with friends, and that's fine. But it does make explicit a certain asymmetry of access.

If anyone wants to actually engage with my ideas, that's what blogs are for. But you have to grant me the laurel of being important enough to talk about in the first place!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In their defense, it seems as if it's not the big timers who are the most dismissive.

Anonymous said...

L'Hote,

Your article on Mali refers (in the twitter screen grab) to Serwer and Foust. They are not advocates of intervention at all and Foust isn't a liberal, much less an intervenionist.

Freddie said...

1. My name is not L'Hote.
2. I didn't claim what you say I'm claiming. I pointed out a very basic contradiction: the desires of the establishment government was endorsed as a reason to support intervention in Mali, and yet was ignored in Libya and is ignored in discussing Syria. The fact that the most basic point of my argument was ignored should tell you everything about the people who are dismissing my criticism.

In their defense, it seems as if it's not the big timers who are the most dismissive.

Of course it isn't; in high school, after all, it isn't the queen bees who defend the social system. It's the wanna-bees.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you didn't mean to implicate them but a random person reading the post would (and did) think so when you put 'liberal interventionists' followed prominently by their twitter exchange with Greenwald.

Freddie said...

Poor reading comprehension, I'm afraid, makes all arguments suspect.

Anonymous said...

sigh....

Freddie said...

I'm really rustling a lot of Jimmies today.