Wednesday, January 23, 2013

a reason to care about those high definition screens

As something of a technoskeptic, I want to be careful to give credit where due. I do think that we're reaching a point where wider broadband access, more powerful processing, and the development of protocols and languages is producing really beautiful web design. For a long while I was bummed that the Internet was becoming more functional but no more beautiful. I think people are recognizing that bringing outstanding visuals to their sites and services can distinguish themselves in a crowded industry. Flipboard, which recently got ported to tablets, is a good example. I mentioned the other day that the new Myspace (however inherently silly you find Myspace) has truly well-done web design. That's particularly funny, given Myspace's former status as an ugly, cluttered mess. People are finally grasping that what looks good is not a ton of small images and a million buttons but large, high-definition images and a few elegantly laid out choices.

Check out this interactive preview of a recent book on my field. Click the photo of the book to expand and manipulate. Beautiful! A bunch of people in my department study visual rhetoric, the ways in which arguments are embedded within visual presentations and how they are (or aren't) effective in persuasion. A lot of really interesting things are happening in the visual presentation of information and design languages. It's an exciting time.

4 comments:

Bart said...

Bring back the lake photo or I'll kill a poet!

Freddie said...

OK I'll try!

Nick DeBoer said...

Flipboard didn't get ported to tablets, it launched for the only functional tablet at the time, the original iPad. It's probably more accurate to say it got ported to new operating systems.

Freddie said...

See, even when I try to talk a little bit about tech, I only reveal my ignorance.